Tuesday 21 March 2017

Sonflowers and Bike fun; a reality check.




My mother was minding my son in the garden on a sunny Summer afternoon. She was reading the newspaper as he played. Suddenly he shouted "oh Gran look!! aren't they SOOO beautiful!"  Not knowing what he was talking about and looked up from her paper puzzled, asking "what? what's so beautiful?" He pointed to the ground and said "look, the sunflowers, aren't they just so very beautiful!" The 'sunflowers' in question were, in fact, some dandelions growing at the edge of my less than 'perfect' lawn. Such is the joy of children...their perception of Life and all things is so different to ours. We need to see a few more dandelions/sunflowers to keep our reality check level!
A few days later, my son was racing his bike around the back garden as I typed my college essay just inside the window. He was riding round and round on damp grass, the skid marks becoming bigger and deeper each time...tons of mud!! It was JUST on the tip of my tongue to tell him to stop riding across it as it would only get worse and he said "ah but Mum don’t worry, the grass will grow again!". How right he is... grass grows, muddy marks happen. I'm so glad I didn't give out to him for doing what he should...living the life of an 8 year old boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment